Wednesday, December 28, 2005

I've been crappy this month

Okay, a month since my last blog, and I tried! Seriously, if you are reading this you know that I've been totally crappy: I haven't blogged, I haven't called, I have written, but then not responded to returned correspondence. I'm not busy - I do think you are important (well, some of you - say, the ones that know my middle name) - I don't think I'm lazy. Here is what happens. I don't have internet at my house. This is partially cheapness and partially intended. I am connected all day to the internet. ALL DAY I sit and do research (despite what people may think, I am actually working that 8-11 hours that I am there (typically about 9) and I don't, as most of you know, use the time for correspondence. I do, however, like many like me, I think, bounce the necessary personal e-mails back and forth. Here are some examples:

--x needs y's address
--what was the name of that guy you dated 10 years ago? I think I saw him on the street
--when does your plane get in?
--Dinner tonight? (this is very rarely an actual date request.)

These disjointed e-mails take up about half an hour (an hour on days when there is particular chaos in my life) and I love them. I love them not because they represent a (much deserved, imho) break from my day, but because it's the longest and most meaningful conversation I'll have with most people I love. Anyway, I refrain from internet in my house because I am connected all day.

I don't know how to fix this problem. I've thought that I should schedule one hour per week when I stay at work and blog - every week in the new year. Other suggestions are very welcome. I'll probably try them because they are likely a much better format than sending periodic e-mails like this: Flight in at 8 pm, will take train. How's family, health? In conference most of the time - but can do lunch on weds at 1 - Lorial? Let me know. Love liz

blog p.s. And I'm not even important professionally. What happens if I keep up like this - in five years I'll be speaking in full sentences in the business world and entirely in txt msg in my personal life. That's depressing.

1 Comments:

Blogger fronesis said...

Hmmm....
If you had internet at home, would it necessarilly lead you to do more work? Would it make it possible to spend slightly less time at the office?

I'm very supportive of the idea of circumscribing your work space and work time, but I'm also a big fan of being able to look up a movie, read a blog post, or check some information (I'm far too dependent on the net, I realize)...

Anyway, just some thoughts about whether having then net at home would make things worse, or perhaps a bit better.

Oh, and a very belated happy birthday!

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home