Sunday, September 18, 2005

Going on home.

I've spent the weekend in Boston (i'll blog about my weekend and New England in the fall later), and before I go, I wanted to take a minute to blog abolut my trip out here. It was rainy in Chicago during my layover, but the plane was on time so I grabbed a sandwich and went to the gate. The captain, once we boarded, alerted us that Logan in Boston was experiencing weather delays, and, by extension, so were we. We sat on the runway for an hour. We went back to the gate and people were allowed to go in tot he airport. They came back shortly commenting on the crowds in the airport, as all the planes from Philly to Boston were delayed (including New York). We all took our seats as we pushed off from the gate again because Chicago needed the gate to get their flights in. (People are SO used to being on time in Chicago.)

Three hours later we're sitting on the runway. Only one toilet was working, the rest were full. The plane smelled like mcdonalds and sleep. I was working, but my computer battery was almost done, so I was eyeing my book. There were people at the front coach section gambling with torn up pieces of the SkyMiles catalog. In the frst class section, they were eating.

Eventually, they emptied the toilets, and we took off for Boston. We didn't have a bad run of it, but I have to say, as I sat there watching peoples behavoir deteriorate and patience run thin, all I could think about was the Superdome. As I finished the water I brought on board, I thought about what it must be like to be in New Orleans and how fast things can fall apart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home