Monday, September 05, 2005

How big is this root?!

I spent the morning yanking weeds out of the yard with reckless abandon. You should see it. I thought about taking before and after pictures for the blog, but before I knew it I was off and running with the weedkilling scissor looking things. Jackson (back in good health) watched as if I was a lunatic.

It's a big weekend of new beginnings. Beck is off to Wales and Anne is off to Chicago. In ten days, Katie will be here. I'm sitting on the couch thinking about the new-ness of this place and remembering the excitement and terror that goes along with stepping out of what you are used to. For me, the feeling of breaking new ground and stepping out of line is fading now, and I'm both thankful and sad to see it go. For them it's just starting and maybe they feel the same way.

It's amazing to know Becky and Anne and Katie. In fact, when I sit back and think about it, my world is full of absolutely amazing women. Groundbreakers and homebuilders, teachers and learners, computer programmers and creative design experts, marketers and career builders. And that's just a few of them. Yesterday, in a fit of laziness, Anne, Jack and I watched Anchorman. While it is freaking hilarious and I loved it, I couldn't help but think about Christina Applegate's character and what it means to live and work and thrive in the world we live in. I'm s proud of the women I know for making it work for them.

1 Comments:

Blogger tekne said...

okay, just tuning back in, but I have to say that I find it awesome and hilarious that Anchorman and Christina Applegate can set you onto a philosophical train of thought regarding strong women. fabulous.

as always, and as one of the folks you cite in the post, it's good to remember that we are strong, even in the (normal) moments of utter weakness and flailing. (which, by the way, seem more common than the strong ones.)

5:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home