Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Mommas, don't let your daughters grow up to expect reproductive rights.


I have something to say to Gov. Michael Rounds (South Dakota), and I've chosen this venue to do so. Today, my rambling blog takes a rather strong headed turn, so if you don't like that kind of thing, I'd move onto your next blog now (or scroll down to look at cute Jack pictures reflective of a happier time).

Today, the NYT quotes Gov. Rounds, "In the history of the world, the true test of a civilization is how well people treat the most vulnerable and most helpless in their society. The sponsors and supporters of this bill believe that abortion is wrong because unborn children are the most vulnerable and most helpless persons in our society. I agree with them."

Most vulnerable and helpless in their society, Gov. Rounds? Tell that to a teenager in a back alley abortion clinic. I'm not a fan of abortion as a whole, and I don't think very many people are. I am, however, a fan of giving everyone in this country access to safe medical care and the ability to make choices regarding their own and their families health, wellbeing, and safety. I think the Gov. and I would be on the same side of this issue if it were the freedom to choose to legally own a firearm. How come gun toters can be trusted to make a choice based on the wellbeing of themselves and their families, while women cannot be?

Congratulations Gov. Rounds, you just made the world a little less safe for women and unborn children.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home